May 30, 2013

My Chickens: Rollin' Hens and Desperate Phoebes.

It was extraordinarily hot today and the hens were happy to lay in the shade or roll in the cool dust.  Zesty was, sadly, not very welcomed to roll with the others, as they pecked her continuously on her sore spot(the bare, picked area on her back).     She did get to roll for a while though. All the pullets, but Chestnut, rolled for a long, long time!! I had an enjoyable time watching them fight over the deepest dusting spots and lay with their legs stretched out. 
"Stay away from my dirt or else!"

That's what Half'n'half says to the others! 

Oh, and about Cap.   She was busy searching for food.  It is so hot, no worms were out and her chicks were hungry. When Cap left the nest to find food, I climbed up and fed the chicks some worms and bread. Okay, okay, I know I shouldn't of interfered, but Cap was having trouble and the smallest chick was starving to death.  I wouldn't want any of her chicks to die.   Anyway, in worked out and they're all fed now.  My chicks are huge and I'm working on introducing them to the hens!



2 comments:

  1. Bless you for helping the chicks, sometimes you can't help but help :)

    We have torrential rain in the UK, please send over some sun! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so sweet that you fed Cap's chicks! I know we aren't supposed to interfere with nature, but sometimes you just have to. I hope the hens accept the chicks!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to AnimalTM! So glad you could comment! Thanks a bunch! Comments make my day!