First of all, Jeannie is so much better and becoming a doll! She loves me and it is very difficult to keep her from jumping out of the hutch to get to me! I'm trying to keep her calm so her head will have a chance to heal, but what can you do to stop an affectionate chick!?
Second, Half'n'half(see below) is really getting rough with Zesty!
She has pecked her way to the top of the pecking order and sees to it that Zesty(or anybody else)does not have the chance to challenge her position! She is pecking every one, but the two Ameraucanas are getting the brunt of her attack. The only hen she doesn't bother is Little Lady, her constant companion.
Both Zesty and Cranky have bald spots on their backs, but Zesty's is worse, extending from nearly her neck to her stump of a tail. Cranky has a huge, beautiful tail still and I hope she keeps it!
To save Zesty from being reduced to bones, I took a tube of minty toothpaste and lathered it across her back and Cranky's. Surprisingly, it works! Chickens DO NOT LIKE TOOTHPASTE!!!
When Half'n'half, or Little Lady reach over for a good peck, they get a beak full of sticky, nasty, minty goo!
My Chickens: The chapters.
- My Chickens: Little Lady IS BROODY!!!!!!
- My Chickens: Zesty in the "Special" nest.
- My Chickens: Sad happening.
- My Chickens: Never mind, I'll post it now.
- My Chickens: Zesty's got Feathers!/Moving the Hens...
- My Chickens: Jeannie's foot?/New Eggs!
- My Chickens: Jeannie, Zesty, Half'n'half, and a Wh...
- My Chickens: Jeannie's Head, Continued.
- My Chickens: Jeannie's Head!!!
- My Chickens: Sorry My blog is So Gloomy, But....
- My Chickens: Life or Death.
- My Chickens: The Chicks Survived the night!
- My Chickens: Raced today/ Poor chick!
- ▼ Jun (13)